- Follow the general preoperative instruction sheet.
- Gentlemen are requested to trim the nasal hairs five days prior to the procedure.
- We have provided mupirocin (generic Bactroban®) antibiotic ointment. This is to be used only inside the nostrils. Squeeze approximately 1/2 inch of the ointment onto the cotton head of a Q-tip applicator. Transport all the ointment into the nostril until the point where the cotton tip has nearly disappeared within the nose. The aim is to deposit the ointment into the hair-bearing, first 1/2 inch of the nasal cavity. Rotate the cotton-tipped head 360 degrees to contact the lining skin and then remove the applicator tip. Then both nostrils should be closed by pinching together the sidewalls of the nostrils. Then release and repetitively close and release the nostrils for one minute. Use a massage-type motion when closed. The aim is to spread the ointment about the internal nostril lining.
- These antibiotic ointment applications should be done twice daily, morning and evening, for five days prior to the surgery date.
- We will see you in the office one or two days after surgery to remove the Kotler Nasal Airway™ and small antibiotic-laden tampons, which have been placed into your nose. The right and left internal tampon are connected by a single colored string that you will notice sitting outside the nostrils. This string is not attached to the nose; rather, it merely connects the two nasal packs to prevent them him slipping further into the nose. When you come into the office, we will dribble liquid anesthetic inside your nose to shrink the lining and anesthetize. Removal of the airway and pack is prompt and not uncomfortable.
- The outside, plastic protective splint will be removed 4-6 days post-operatively.
- Contact the office, 8-5, M-F (310-278-8721) if you have:
Excessive pain, not controlled by the pain pills.